Image Map

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Rast Hack Reveal!

The hardware for my IKEA Rast Hack arrived on Monday and I am finally able to share my completed project with you!





I am really happy with the way it turned out! The color choice is bold, to be sure, but I think it is going to add the perfect POP of color to my home office. The two tone paint was inspired by this little number that I spied while flipping through the pages of the latest issue of Traditional Home Magazine...

The New Traditionalists

Isn't it gorgeous? I loved it from the moment I saw it. I did not, however love the $1885.00 price tag! Can we say OUTRAGEOUS! I think my little hack will have the same impact in the room, and the total cost of my piece... $60.00! I had to add a little gold trim to mine, just to fancy it up a bit. A little metallic makes everything a bit more glamorous!

Here's a look at the process I went through...


I applied 2 coats of primer with a dense foam roller.

After the primer dried I applied 3 coats of paint to the box and drawer fronts also with a dense foam roller. Three coats may seem like a lot, but I didn't want the wood grain to show through at all. It didn't take much time, maybe 5 minutes for each coat.

After it was all dry, I taped off the edges of the drawer fronts and applied some Antique Gold Rub 'n Buff to them with a dry cloth. Seriously, this stuff is the best! I'm going to stockpile it in every finish it comes in!


Almost there, just need to add hardware and accessorize...

Once again, the finished product...

In case you are interested...
The box was painted with Pratt & Lambert's Mid Rose
The drawer fronts are painted with Pratt & Lambert's Coral Pink
The hardware was ordered online from Lee Valley & Veritas

On a side note...my local Pratt & Lambert retailer, sells quart sized samples for $5.00! That's right a whole quart for 5 bucks! The sample only comes in a satin finish, so to give my hack a glossy look, I just shot it with a coat of Clear Gloss spray paint that I already had on hand! Tada! A glossy finish without having to pay the higher price associated with a couple of quarts gloss paint!

So, what do you think of my little hack? I'd love to hear your thoughts?

Oh, and one last thing... My family and I are headed to my brother's home in the Bay Area today. My sweet Mother and Father will be celebrating their 40th Wedding Anniversary next week, and all they wanted was for our whole family, their kids and grandkids, to be together! 40 years...WOW! I am so fortunate to have them as an example of what a successful and joyous marital relationship looks like and to have witnessed the effort that they put forth into making it so. My guy and I have both learned so much from them and we respect them greatly.  I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get back!

All right, All right, this is really the last thing! I'm all about keeping it real, so I'll have you know that as I am sitting here finishing up this post, it is nearing 11:30 pm. I am waiting for the first dose of antibiotics that I took to battle a nasty sinus infection to kick in, and I have yet to finish packing for myself and for my three munchkins for our trip tomorrow. We need to be on our way to the airport by 9:00 am! At least my guy packed his things himself! Wish me luck...I better get to it! 

Sharing my project at Miss Mustard Seed
and

Home Stories A2Z
here